Thursday, March 13, 2014

CELEBRATE


Growing up, March 13th was always a day of celebration in my household. It was my mom’s birthday, and there was nothing better than eating cake and ice cream while we watched her face light up as she opened her cards and presents. Today is March 13th, and I would do anything to be able to spend her birthday with her again.


To put it all into perspective, my mom wasn’t sick on her birthday in 2010. By her birthday in 2011, she had passed away. I never thought that cancer would affect a beautiful person like her. She was selfless, compassionate, loving, and a wonderful mother. But cancer is relentless, and with the blink of an eye, she became terminally ill with multiple brain tumors. It all happened so fast – one minute they weren’t even sure it was cancer, the next minute she was in a wheelchair, then next minute she was having brain surgeries and chemotherapy. Later, the seizures began, and before I knew it, I was sitting in her hospital room holding her hand, talking to her even though she was no longer responsive. A few days later, I woke up and she was gone.


Every single day without her is tough, but days like today are especially hard. Today is her birthday. It’s supposed to be all about her. We are supposed to spoil her and show her how much she is loved. We are supposed to celebrate as a family, and it’s a day that I never really pictured to happen without her.


She may not be here with us, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate. We can continue to celebrate her life, her love, and all of the ways she touched the lives of the people around her. She truly was an incredible woman, and I am so lucky that I got her out of all the mom’s in the world.


There is one more thing I want to celebrate today – the progress that has been made toward finding the cure for cancer. Not only do I relay in memory of my mom, but I relay so that one day, everyone who has been affected by cancer in some way can celebrate happily knowing that no one else will have to suffer from this disease.


We can do it. We can do it because of organizations like Relay For Life. Happy birthday, Mom – we WILL finish the fight for you.

With RelayLove,

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...