Wednesday, March 19, 2014

THE LUCKY ONES


I’m a lucky kid.
I grew up in a boring part of Ohio in a middle-class family. I’ve never won the lottery, guessed the exact number of jelly beans in the jar, or even been chosen as a line leader.  But I am lucky. 
The first time I ever really felt it was when I was about eight years old sitting at the dinner table. “Mom,” I asked, “It feels weird to hug grandma. Why?”
After a few moments, she explained to me that my grandma is different: she had to have one of her breasts removed in her forties after almost passing away from breast cancer. In fact, she told me that the cancer came back two more times, and that if had not been for the new medicine, my grandma might not be alive.
 “Oh.”
“But aren’t we lucky that we have her, and that you guys have gotten to spend so much time with her?”
I nodded. I had no more questions.


About five years later I was watching Sportscenter with Kyle and Payton when my dad came in and pressed the power button on the TV.
“Guys, can you come in here for a second?”
 Around the very same dinner table he calmly explained that our mom had been diagnosed with breast cancer. But they had caught it quickly. The cancer was stage one, and there was very little chance that it had spread to other parts of her body. And he was right. Within about a year, the tests results came back; the Tamoxifen had done its job. There was no signs of cancerous cells, and all of her medical examinations were negative. My mother had beaten the disease completely and was never even forced to endure chemo. We were lucky again.


It took me about three years to get to the point where I was comfortable enough to type the word “cancer” into my Google toolbar, but when I finally did I was shocked. Statistically, one out of every eight women born will be diagnosed with breast cancer. In 2010 alone, about 206,966 women new cases of invasive breast cancer were diagnosed in women.
But one number stood out to me above the rest: two. According to Breastcancer.org, a woman’s risk of breast cancer approximately doubles if she has a first-degree relative that has been diagnosed with breast cancer. With a younger sister, I couldn’t help but feel like Ebenezer waiting for my third ghost.
           

I started participating in Relay for Life in order to make sure that the story of cancer’s past is very different than the story of its future. Funds provided by Relay and the American Cancer Society have been instrumental in developing drugs and treatments, like Tamoxifen, that have been crucial in diagnosing women during the early stages of cancer so they can survive and live comfortably with the reality of their disease. Over the past ten years, cancer incidence has dropped about 7%, and the chances of a women passing away from breast cancer has decreased to about 3%.
I’m fighting to create a world where cancer is eradicated and my sister is more than just a simple statistic.
Just like millions of women, she will be just another lucky one.

With Relaylove,
Entertainment Committee

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...