Wednesday, October 14, 2015

We Are A Movement

I’ve never been one to do much with my hair, so when I showed up to school one day with a drastic haircut, people took notice. I’ve never been one to wear much jewelry either, so when I began showing up to school with a diamond-encrusted gold ring, people took notice. I made these changes because admittedly, I wanted attention, but not for myself.

I absolutely loved it when someone complimented me on my hair (or lack thereof) because I could tell them that mailing 12 inches of my mane was the biggest “Am-I-really-doing-this” moment of my life, but it was so worth it because someone was going to have a wig that made him or herself feel more confident.



I loved to hear from others about their enthusiasm for the idea and how they wanted to donate their own hair (hello bob haircut trend 2013). I also loved (and still love) when people comment on my ring so I can tell them about my aunt who fought pancreatic cancer for over two years, despite the fact that she was told she had two months at the time of diagnosis, and how much I admired her.

IMG_6066.JPG

Even though I love bringing attention to the fight against cancer, I also hate it. Because of cancer I didn’t get to graduate with my childhood best friend by my side. My aunt can’t fulfill the promise she made to me the last time I saw her: that she would be at my wedding, years down the road. Because of cancer I and millions of other people worry, hurt, and cry over loved ones. But I don’t contemplate passively over how cancer has affected my life. I have too much hope for that.

I, along with so many others, relay because we share the same ridiculously large amount of hope. We channel that hope into the belief that we will finish the fight against cancer. We refuse to be apathetic in a society that has the tools and means to alleviate suffering and find a cure. We look forward to the days where future generations to come won’t ever have to shed tears because someone they know died of cancer. We are a movement.

This movement has so many positive influences, big and small. For me, Relay for Life has blessed me with a family that I wouldn’t trade for the world. For others, specifically cancer patients, Relay for Life funds cancer research, the creation of wigs, transportation for cancer patients, lodges for patients who live great distances, support groups and caregivers, and so much more.

Cancer sucks. Join me and millions of other relayers so we can create a cancer-free world.

With RelayLOVE,


Team Engagement Committee

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...