Tuesday, February 4, 2014

THE FACES OF CANCER


Cancer affects everyone. I know this seems obvious and self-explanatory, but I think we often forget this. My first real memories of cancer date back to my childhood when I lost my grandfather to lung cancer. For a long time, he was the only person I had known with cancer, and as an eight year old girl, I just assumed that cancer is something only old people get. As I grew up, I became increasingly aware of how cancer touches the lives of so many people, both young and old.
Today, February 4, is World Cancer Day, a day where we engage in an open dialogue about cancer by honoring those who have battled and won, remembering those who lost the fight, and by moving forward towards the day when World Cancer Day will be a celebration of finding the cure for this disease. In the spirit of this year’s theme of debunking the cancer myths, I wanted to share some of my favorite “Relay Moments” that remind me daily of Why I Relay.


Dear 16 Year Old Me
I like this video because I think it’s both powerful and informative.  Before watching this I would have never thought that at 20 I would be at risk of malignant melanoma, let alone from that one bad sunburn three summers ago. This video highlights the reality of who cancer touches, the vast age range and the infinite faces of cancer – fighters, survivors, doctors, nurses, loved ones, etc.


Brave
This video is amazing. You can’t help but just have the biggest smile on your face the whole time. The Pediatric Hematology/Oncology unit at this hospital made a video to Sara Bareilles’ Brave and that’s just what these kids are – brave. It is easy to sometimes forget or try to ignore that children suffer from cancer, just like adults. This video demonstrates that while some children do battle cancer, they are still able to live out a somewhat normal childhood with a big smile and an insurmountable strength.
Last year, while perusing the internet during yet another boring lecture, I came across this site and started scrolling through the photo gallery instead of the lecture slides. Note to self: it becomes pretty obvious that you aren’t reading psych slides when you start tearing up while looking at your laptop. Anyways, this blog had a poignant message. Angelo documented his wife’s entire battle with breast cancer through stunning black and white photographs. The photos are so moving and powerful and I felt like I was in his place living through the highs and lows of his wife’s entire journey, from the diagnosis to the final snapshot of her battle.


So I may be biased, but I think I saved the best for last. I know Shawn. In fact, while I always Relay in memory of my grandfather, this year I Relay for Shawn. Shawn was my soccer coach for 9 years and is the older brother I never had. This past summer, Shawn was diagnosed with Stage 4 thymus cancer and The Washington Post followed Shawn, a former soccer player for DC United, around for parts of his journey, interviewing him and his family. The video exposes his true vulnerabilities, especially when he claims, “I just want to live,” but it serves as an incredible example of the positive outlook on life that one can live by while in the midst of adversity. It inspires me to live my daily life with the same love of life, passion, faith and bravery that Shawn exhibits in his fight against cancer.
With Relaylove,
Corporate Sponsorship Chair


PS I know that last one is hard to watch/read. So here’s an additional video that is sure to put a smile on your face if not make you laugh. 

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...