Wednesday, December 2, 2015

In Celebration of You

Imagine yourself today. Imagine where you see yourself a year in the future.

Now imagine having all of your goals, hopes and dreams compromised by something completely out of your control. Imagine hearing the words “You have cancer.”

About three years ago, my family received a call explaining that my cousin Will had experienced a seizure during his workday. Will was a young adult and had no previous medical condition that would explain this event. He was just the type of young professional I aspire to be in future years.

We eventually found out that doctors had discovered multiple malignant tumors in Will’s brain. My cousin Will was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of brain cancer that winter, altering his life and so many more in an instant.

I was always so impressed and inspired by Will. He spent six years living and working in Japan after college, proceeding to earn a JD and Masters of Law in International Law from Duke University and a subsequent Master’s of Law in Taxation from New York University. My family and I loved that he lived and worked in D.C., since all of our other extended family members maintained residence in cities further afield; Will was our special Washingtonian relative.

After his diagnosis, Will worked with some of the most advanced doctors at Johns Hopkins University and subsequently at UCLA. They did everything in their power to extend Will’s life as long as they possibly could. Will fought vigorously and without complaint, surrounded by support and prayers.

Will passed away in December of 2013, less than a year after his initial diagnosis.

I was 18 year old when Will died. I was 18 years old, and someone in my generation had passed away. It didn’t make logical sense. I couldn’t help but think that this could be me or one of my close friends in a decade or two, going through the exact same situation that Will so suddenly took on.

I Relay because after a situation in which I felt so helpless, I can have a serious impact on finding a cure for brain cancer in the future. There has been a 22% decrease in the cancer death rate in the last two decades, which translates to 1.5 million lives saved. Through Relay For Life at UVA, the American Cancer Society continuously funds new groundbreaking research that will continue to save lives.

The only thing I can think of that would be more difficult than experiencing such an abrupt and unfair loss as this is not doing anything to fix it. Although our family will always feel Will’s void, I can honor him by working towards a future without cancer. In the sea of crazy costumes and Vermonster Challenges, Concerts and 5Ks, Bar nights and Benefits, it’s easy to forget what Relay For Life if really about—making it possible for everyone to live our lives to the fullest.

I Relay in celebration of you, Will.

RelayLove,

Publicity Co-Chair


You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...