Monday, January 5, 2015

MY FAVORITE THING

When I was little, my grandmother, Nene, and I used to watch The Sound of Music together, regularly. She always curled my hair in rollers, and I routinely modeled my finest smock stitched dress so I felt like one of the Von Trapp children.

You can imagine the sing-a-longs. Chanting at the top of our lungs, "Doe a deer, a female deer, Ray, a drop of golden sun,” and "So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight," was enough to cause alarm to the neighbors, scare the birds from the tree outside the front door, and send the dog into hiding, who had also dressed the part. 

  

Over the holidays, I often tune into the season’s television specials. A few days before Christmas, The Sound of Music aired, and as if no time had passed, I found myself humming the chorus of, “My Favorite Things,”

 When the dog bites,
 When the bee stings,
 When I’m feeling sad,
  I simply remember my favorite things
 And then I don’t feel so bad.

Today, I visited Evergreen Burial Park, leaving behind a daffodil, a pack of Juicy Fruit gum, a York peppermint patty, a basketball, an Elvis tape, a Virginia Tech pom-pom and a Nascar Hotwheel, along with a few family photos. These represent many of Nene's favorite things, and today is the two-year anniversary of her funeral, after she passed away forgoing treatment for lung cancer. 


The ones we love deserve all the time in the world & more to spend with their favorite things, as do you and I, and Nene was one of mine. Today, as well as everyday, I am remembering her.  And today, as well as everyday, I am continuing her fight against cancer.

With RelayLove,

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...