Wednesday, March 16, 2016

#FinishtheFight

Cancer is not casual. Ask any one of your friends and the overwhelming majority of them can name someone they know whom this monster of a disease has affected. When I arrived at the University of Virginia I was very *extremely* eager to get involved and Relay For Life seemed like an obvious choice. Their mission to celebrate survivors, to remember those we have lost, and to fight back through our fundraising efforts for the American Cancer Society spoke to me.

Young, eager Allison at her first Relay For Life Event
At that point I could name one family member that had been affected by breast cancer, my great-aunt Nena. I still remember bursting into tears at a second grade assembly while our headmistress addressed us. That was the first time I had to feel the heartache of losing someone I loved because of a disease that seemed so out of my control or anyone’s for that matter. That experience was impetus enough for me to join this organization. Over the next couple of years I heard countless stories of why people relay. Tearfully, I listened as friends share their stories of acting as a caregiver to their mother, saying good-bye to their sister, fighting alongside their beloved coach, and so many more. These were such powerful stories and I thought that my one story was not enough. I loved my great aunt, but my memories with her were so few as I was so young. I am blessed to say that my family members are alive and well. However several weeks ago I was talking with a friend over drinks and he shared with me that he had had skin cancer. The comment was so nonchalant that it struck me. How had I not known this about one of my best friends? Surprisingly, this was not the first time this type of interaction had happened to me. Another friend of mine had similarly shared her story during happy hour as if it was regular conversation. Moreover this last weekend I was having lunch with my grandparents and my mom told my grandfather that he had to have a growth on his forehead checked out. She then told me that he had had a cancerous cell removed in the past.

Beyond these few stories, there are plenty more that go untold. I realized that I relay for them and that my reason for relaying is worthy. Thanks to the American Cancer Society, life saving research has been made possible so that the people I love most have been able to stay in my life. The American Cancer Society dedicates itself to research, education, advocacy, and service. Every dollar raised is a glimmer of hope that someone can share their story over a beer that they beat cancer, and hopefully one day there will be no stories to tell because we will see a world without cancer. We’ve certainly come along way thanks to the amazing work of researchers, physicians, nurses and all those committed to finishing the fight. Just look at our very own UVA researchers, Dr. Hui Li, PhD and Kate Adelstein, a nurse pursuing her PhD, who will be sharing their efforts at Relay For Life at UVA’s Flash Seminar this Friday.

We all play a role in ensuring a future without cancer. It is a privilege and an honor to have work alongside so many amazing people over the last four years doing my part by fundraising with Relay For Life for the American Cancer Society. No story is unworthy, no donation is too small. Do your part so that we can #FinishtheFight!


RelayLove,


 Co-Chair of Greek Recruitment 


You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...